As mentioned in Google I/O press conference yesterday Android 3.1 will be released to Motorola XOOM users on the Verizon Wireless Network first via Over-the-Air (OTA) update. The update includes some of the things mentioned earlier like automatic task killing and USB Host support and included in that update is support for the new movie rentals service out of the Android Market, full Adobe Flash Player 10.2 support with performance improvements, Bluetooth headset capabilities with Google Talk and picture transfer protocol support. It will roll to Motorola XOOM users and XOOM Wi-FI users several weeks down the road according to Motorola. Check the press release below for full details.
Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Software Update, Coming First to Motorola XOOM™, Delivers Support for Android Market Movie Rentals and Numerous Other Enhancements
Over-the-air software update rolling out this week to Motorola XOOM tablets on Verizon Wireless
Motorola XOOM users on the Verizon Wireless network will soon be able to rent movies, use a Bluetooth® headset during video chats, resize their widgets and more with an over-the-airsoftware update for Android™ 3.1 (Honeycomb) that makes the Motorola XOOM experience even more powerful than before. The software update, coming first to Motorola XOOM and rolling out this week, delivers a wide range of new features and expanded functionality, including:
- Support for the new Android Market movie rentals service with thousands of titles available for immediate viewing on the Motorola XOOM’s high-resolution display or on a larger screen via HDMI
- Full support for the final release of Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2, delivering significant performance enhancements when viewing rich Flash content on the web
- Resizable widgets to enable further customization of home screens
- Support for USB-connected peripherals and accessories, such as keyboards, mice, game controllers and digital cameras
- Expanded Bluetooth features to support Bluetooth headsets in Google Talk™ video chats and Bluetooth mouse support in addition to additional shortcut keys with the Bluetooth keyboard
- Picture Transfer Protocol Feature support to enable easier transfer of photo files to your PC without the need for drivers
Motorola XOOM with Wi-Fi tablets and other variants of Motorola XOOM will receive the update within the next several weeks. If users have questions or need support, they can visitwww.motorola.com/myxoom or www.motorola.com/support, or get help from other owners on our online community at https://supportforums.motorola.com.
Certain features, services and applications are network dependent and may not be available in all areas; additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply. Specific functionality and features with each software version of Android may vary. Contact your service provider for details.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Android, Google, Google Talk, and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc. Adobe and Adobe Flash are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.