Verizon announced the Samsung Galaxy Stellar a smartphone with mid-range specs for first time smartphone buyers. The Galaxy Stellar is free after a $50 mail-in-rebate and the phone comes with some good specs that some of it would have been high-end a year ago. A 4 inch WVGA display (800 x 480), 1.2 GHz dual-core Snapdragon application processor, Android 4.0 and 4G LTE. Some parts are on the low-end with just a 3.2 megapixel rear facing camera and 1.3 megapixel front facing camera. It’s being promoted as having a great suite of Amazon apps and is Samsung Approved For Enterprise or SAFE so you can bring it into your business and be assured that it will work. Check out the press release and images below for more info.
VERIZON WIRELESS LAUNCHES FEATURE-PACKED SAMSUNG GALAXY STELLAR™ SMARTPHONE
Features 4G LTE Connectivity, Dual Interface Options and B2B Enterprise Solutions
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and DALLAS – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that they will offer the exclusive Samsung Galaxy Stellar™ starting Sept. 6 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The easy-to-use 4G LTE enabled Samsung Galaxy Stellar is designed to be compact so it fits easily in a customer’s hand and make the first time smartphone experience simple. Built with a compact design, the Stellar features a dual interface option so customers can choose between Starter Mode or Standard Mode. Starter Mode gives customers a simplified home screen display with preset widgets such as Favorite Apps, Favorite Contacts and Favorite Settings for quick and easy access to frequently used apps and settings. Starter Mode also features a quick dialer icon that allows customers to make phone calls directly from the home screen. Standard Mode provides customers with a more conventional layout and gives customers the traditional Android™ experience. The Stellar also includes a Help app that features guided tours, walkthroughs, tips for changing settings and more, so customers can master their device.
Samsung Galaxy Stellar customers can take advantage of blazingly fast 4G LTE connectivity to access an array of convenient and multimedia rich apps. A suite of Amazon apps is included that offers customers an easy way to discover content such as watching movie trailers on the IMDB app, downloading audio books with the Audible app, and one-click ordering with the Amazon shopping app. The Stellar also offers a variety of premium TV and film content for rent or purchase through the Samsung Media Hub.
The Galaxy Stellar is a SAFE™ (Samsung Approved For Enterprise) approved device featuring on-device AES-256 bit encryption, enhanced support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® and support for industry-leading Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions to make working on-the-go secure.
- 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
· 4-inch WVGA display (800 x 480 )
- Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich – support for Google Mobile™ Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 600,000 apps available to download from Google™ Play Store
· Suite of Amazon apps includes Kindle, Shopping, MP3, Zappos, IMDB and Audible
· 1.2 dual-core GHz Snapdragon™ application processor
- Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for video chat and 3.2 megapixel rear-facing camera with auto focus
- Backup Assistant Plus – media management and online storage service designed to help customers store and access media content such as music, videos, pictures documents and contacts.
· Wi-Fi® Connectivity (802.11 a/b/g/n)
· microSD™ card slot with support for up to 32 GB
Samsung’s SAFE enterprise mobility solutions provide flexibility and connectivity for mobile workforces, ensuring that users are able to operate more efficiently while on–the-move.
· Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) – Communicate directly with your Microsoft Exchange Server enabling push email, calendar, and contacts
· Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) Support from Industry-Leading Solutions Providers – Supports industry-standard VPN protocols to help users efficiently tap into VPN networks and MDM capabilities that allow IT departments to effectively safeguard employee’s mobile devices and corporate data.
· On Device Encryption – SAFE helps prevent unauthorized access to mobile data by leveraging the AES 256-bit encryption standard, encrypting all data, including app-specific internal data and internal/external memory.
Price and availability:
- The Samsung Stellar will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com starting Sept. 6 for free after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 94.2 million retail customers, including 88.8 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 78,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com.
About Samsung Mobile
Samsung Mobile (Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC), a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com.
Samsung, Stellar and SAFE are trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.